Monday 23 April 2012

Try Something New

It's Monday morning. My son is off to work experience and looking apprehensive. Time for me also to try something new and that's learning to post a link. I'm going to see if this works. Monday mornings are hard. My brain has gone elsewhere over the weekend (walks in the rain, driving the children around ...) so I started my writing week just now with a trawl through some of my favourite blogs. Womag's blog linked me to some writing tips from Lydia Jones. I know she's been somewhere else this week - I'm thinking, The People's Friend? - so I was interested and went to read and yes, her tips are great. Let's try and find them. OK, I've tried this twice and it's still not working. Sigh. Technology is never intuitive for me. So let's just do this: http://lydiajones.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Earn-Money-Writing-Stories-For-Womens-Magazines#comments. Then maybe I'm covered. The one that grabbed me was her discussion of how NOT to use real life events, because this chimed with my own thought processes in my last post. She was suggesting playing the 'What If?' game - you take the real-life event and then say, 'But what if ...' and that leads you off in many new directions which turns a single event into a story that has wider relevance. So I'm off to apply that process to my own half-written story and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment