Friday 20 April 2012

That Rewrite

This story, this series of posts, could soon become a serial. So they wanted ANOTHER rewrite. That would be the third. It's lovely to get feedback, it's generous of them to take the time, but there comes a point when saying yes, again, begins to look like desperation to get published. It isn't worth the time. It's a shame - it was a good story (certainly the last time I sent it!) and they keep telling me how much they like it, but if they like it that much, they need to just publish the darn thing! I'm deep into other work now, anyway, for one of my other markets, and if I look round, I'll lose concentration. There's one just awaiting a title and a final re-read, and I'm also halfway through another one. There, I've just seen a way to take the story a stage further and create a whole new level to it. Sometimes you have to write in layers - this one started with a fairly specific idea and was planned to fill a shorter slot - probably 1000 words. However, when you begin from a very literal point, you may find that at first you're telling just that one story and doing so fairly literally. As you edit down to the essential oil of the story, cutting the plot and raising the theme to more prominence, you then see beyond to how you could widen your focus out from that one event. At the moment it's hovering between 1000 and 2000 - I'll wait to see which way it needs to go. One hour till the school bus gets in!

No comments:

Post a Comment